Thursday 31 March 2011

Framestore Job Role: Texture Artist

Unfortunately I have not been able to find a vacancy at Framestore for a junior modeller, however there is a job position for a Texture Artist. As well as modelling I enjoy texturing a lot so this job role caught my eye.

About Framestore's VFX Department:

"Framestore has been creating world-beating visual effects for film and television for over twenty years. Our work has won numerous international awards, including the 2008 Academy & BAFTA Awards for our VFX on The Golden Compass, three BAFTA Craft Awards and thirteen Primetime Emmy Awards. The hundreds of projects on which we have worked include all of the Harry Potter films, Walking with Dinosaurs and its numerous sequels and spin-offs, many Bond titles and, recently, The Dark Knight."

I am going to use a traffic light system to show you how I fit Framestores requirements. Below are the requirements for this Texture Artist Job Role, If I feel that I fit the requirements then I will put the text of the requirement in Green. If I fit the requirement to a certain extent but there is still work to be done then I will put the text of that requirement in Yellow/ Amber . If I do not meet that requirement at all then I will put the text of the requirement in Red.

"Candidates should have the ability to create painterly textures from traditional painted reference material, creating both organic and hard surface textures. The successful candidate will be a flexible, creative artist with the proven ability to meet deadlines.

Skills Required:
  •  Extensive knowledge of Photoshop
  • Experience in a 3D paint package 
  • Ability to work within a team of other texture artists 
  • Feature experience would be an advantage 
  • Traditional arts background would be preferred  
To apply for these roles you should apply online and include a link to you portfolio showing your texture work; test renders, or images of UV maps/projection maps."

Unfortunately I'm not quite perfect for this job, however I know exactly what I need to work on to become the perfect candidate for the job.

First of all I need to learn a 3D paint package. This can easily be done by a simple matter or teaching my and lots of practice.

Feature experience is off the cards as I have not worked in the industry yet but thats my goal. So there is not much I can do about that apart from pursue jobs in a hope that I will get one.

I will also need to practice texturing in order to get my texturing to the ability that Framestore require which is "create painterly textures from traditional painted reference material, creating both organic and hard surface textures."

However I am flexible, I'm a creative artist and have been proven to always meet deadlines. I also have the ability to work in a team, a team environment is an environment that I thrive in! So its not all negatives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment