Thursday 31 March 2011

Introduction

After completing Industry Exercise 1, I am now starting Industry Exercise 2. For this project I am required to choose a specific subject area and create a tutorial that will teach the reader or viewer an animation technique. I am also required to create a project schedule using a piece of project management software called Shotgun. This will allow me to prioritize my time, manage contingencies when things go wrong and will teach me to know how much my time should cost. Therefore adding structure and making my projects run more efficiently.

At first I couldn't decide between creating a tutorial on modelling or UV mapping. After lots of thought I decided that the subject area that I was going to write my tutorial on was UV mapping. I also decided that I was going to write my UV mapping tutorial for beginners so I am going to cover the basics of UV mapping. I decided to do my tutorial on UV mapping because it is a subject area that I thoroughly enjoy and for that reason I am most comfortable with it. I have recently had to do lots of UV mapping for my other animation projects so I have been developing a greater understanding of UV mapping. I decided to cover the basics as the basics are always used when UV mapping. Writing a tutorial on UV mapping will help me to recap my knowledge and give me more practice allowing me to move onto more complex UV mapping.

In my Basic UV mapping tutorial I am going to cover Planar mapping, cylindrical mapping, spherical mapping, automatic mapping, editing UV layouts and taking UV snapshots. I will be using simple objects such as a cube, cylinder and sphere to cover the subject areas of Planar, Cylindrical and Spherical mapping. However when it comes to automatic mapping I will be using a more complex monster model that was built for my post production and visual effects project. This will also allow me to showcase the basic tools used to edit UV layouts in the UV texture editor, it will also allow me to show my UV mapping ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment